Early Land agreements
“divided by the woodsmen into 5 walks, namely Wakefield, where the Duke of Grafton has a house, Sholebrook, Hazlebury, Shrob and Hanger Walks, and each of these is divided into several coppices. There are also two lawns and pastures for deer, which are railed in. Fourteen townships were, until lately, allowed the right of common here for their cows and horses, in the open coppices and ridings.”
The Edys were originally woollen merchants who at the beginning of the 15th century had considerable wealth and much influence. There were two brothers, John [Fine Rolls 1421] and William [Fine Rolls 1429]. John had a son [John Edy junior, Fine Rolls1431] who began accumulating land in the 1430s. He owned land in Cosgrove in 1445.
In 1710 the Longuevilles’ land ownership agreements came to an end and Dr John Radcliffe bought the whole estate. North of the River Ouse most of the land between Cosgrove, Lillingstone Lovell and Towcester became the estate of Henry Fitzroy, first Duke of Grafton. The estate included Whittlewood forest, described in 1769 as: